Challenging Immigration Detention through Bail - 21 Oct 14
The course is about detention and bail applications and so will be of relevance to all levels of practitioners. Although the process is prompt and relatively informal, there are numerous procedural, legal and evidential pitfalls which can trip up the unwary and result in bail being refused when it should have been granted.
- The Power to Detain and categories of Detention.
- Understanding when you can challenge detention.
- The relationship between Detention and Human Rights Law.
- Reasons for Detention.
- Preparing a Temporary Release or Admission Request.
- Preparing a Bail application.
- Making a Section 4 application for accommodation.
- Understanding Procedures and Requirements such Sureties and Recognisance, Tagging and Accommodation.
- Advocacy at the Bail Hearing.
- Travel Documents and Returns Schemes.
The aim of the session is to provide participants with an understanding of how to prepare for and how to present a bail application before the First Tier Tribunal. Understand the legal and practical side of Detention and Bail.