I’m concerned about meeting the Minimum Income Requirement to renew my / my partner’s visa

At the moment, people still have to meet the Minimum Income Requirement (MIR) when applying to stay in the UK as a spouse or partner. However, the Home Office has announced some small concessions. If your income dropped between 1 March and 1 January 2021 due to COVID-19, this will be disregarded - but only if you met the MIR in the 6 months before the date when your income dropped. Similarly, if you previously earned enough to meet the requirement but your salary has dropped because you have been furloughed, you can still apply as if you were earning 100% of your income. There is full detail regarding this on the Home Office coronavirus advice page.

If you're coming up to apply for an extension to your spouse visa or for ILR as a partner, and are worried about meeting the MIR, please contact us on [email protected]. We will make sure you get free and confidential advice about your situation, including about how to ensure your rights are protected when you come to reapply, no matter what your income is.

We're asking the Government to suspend the MIR completely due to the economic impact of COVID-19. Click here to write to your MP asking them to raise this issue with the Home Secretary as soon as possible. If you are personally affected by this, please do make this clear by personalising the message to your MP, explaining in as much detail as you can your situation and why the MIR must be urgently lifted. You can email [email protected] if you'd like guidance on how to do this.

I’m concerned about me / my partner not being able to leave the UK when a temporary visa expires

The Home Office extension scheme for people who were in the UK on temporary leave and couldn't leave due to travel restrictions ended on 31 July. However, people in this situation could stay until 31 August, subject to the same conditions. 

People who are in the UK as visitors can also switch straight into a spouse / partner visa, as long as all the other conditions (for example, the Minimum Income Requirement and relationship requirements) are met. Please contact [email protected] for some free and confidential legal advice about your situation if this is the case for you, or if you would like to apply but do not meet all of the requirements.

I'm concerned about me / my partner accessing Statutory Sick Pay

If you are self-isolating because of coronavirus, according to government advice, you can get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) as long as you fall into certain eligible categories. SSP is available for people who are employed (including if you are employed on a zero-hours contract) and earned on average £118 or more per week, before tax. SSP is not classed as a public fund, so if you are here on a spouse visa and have No Recourse to Public Funds you can claim it.  

I’m concerned about NRPF restrictions meaning that I / my partner cannot claim enough benefits

If you're in a couple where one partner has No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) as a condition of their visa, you won't usually be able to claim Universal Credit to cover both of you (there are exceptions for couples in which the partner with NRPF is a Turkish national).

If you can access benefits but your partner can't, you can still apply for benefits including Universal Credit as an individual, without this impacting on your partner's status. However, any income brought to the household by your partner will be taken into account when the DWP assesses how much financial support you can get. You should let the person assessing you know that your partner has no recourse to public funds, to be sure that their benefit calculation is correct. There is more information about this here

People subject to the NRPF restriction can apply to have them lifted if they are experiencing hardship. Those currently on the 5-year route to settlement will be automatically switched to the 10-year route if they get NRPF restrictions lifted. If you'd like more information about this, please contact [email protected] in confidence.

These restrictions cause huge financial hardship - couples in which one or both partners have lost income or work will need adequate financial support to get them through. That's why we're calling on the Government to scrap NRPF. 

I / my partner have just applied for a visa from outside the UK, but are worried about the impact of travel restrictions

If you are already in the UK and are separated from your partner while you gather 6 months' worth of payslips to meet the MIR, please contact us at [email protected]. If your income falls below the requirement due to coronavirus between 1 March 2020 and 1 January 2021 you should still be able to apply, as long as you met the requirement in the six months before your income fell. Please contact us on the email address above if you would like more information about this. 

If you've already been granted an entry clearance visa to join family in the UK and been issued with a 30-day visa for your travel to the UK (also known as a 'vignette'), but it has expired or will expire due to travel restrictions, you can now order a replacement for free. This does not cover visit visas. 

To get a replacement vignette, email [email protected] with 'REPLACEMENT 30 DAY VISA' as the subject line. The body of your email should include:

  • Your name
  • Your nationality
  • Your date of birth
  • Your GWF reference number 

As at 28 April 2020, the Home Office was advising that this process would be in place until the end of 2020. Full information on this can be found here.

I'm here on a fiance(e) visa but can't now get married within 6 months as required

If you are in the UK on a fiance(e) visa but your wedding has been postponed until after 31 August 2020 due to COVID-19, you should inform the Home Office, to make sure that you still have leave if your fiance visa runs out. The Home Office is calling this 'exceptional assurance'. There is more detail on this, and a link to the online form you should fill out, here.

I want advice on supporting people with precarious immigration status during the pandemic

People in your community who have precarious immigration status may be particularly at risk during the pandemic. Many may be too scared to access the healthcare they need, and may struggle to access information and daily necessities. You can find suggestions on how to support people with precarious immigration status, and links to further resources, here.  

We are aware that the current situation could impact in a wide range of ways on people who are applying for or have applied for spouse / partner visas. We will do our best to keep this page up-to-date as the situation changes. Please contact us on [email protected] if you have other concerns relating to your situation that you would like to discuss. And of course, click below to write to your MP and help keep families together, where they belong - now, and always.

Write to your MP now!